UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Community

Rankings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
underdog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Rankings Reply with quote

Please take the inactives off the ranking list, as they cause the list to be less accurate.

Perhaps have 2 lists, one list that has everyone on it, and another list that shows only those that have played a ranked game within a given time frame (perhaps a vote can be made to determine this time frame)

This was done for IBL, and it is done in all ranking systems for sports.

Due to inactives, there are people that take a position then dont budge because they dont play anymore. People would have more incentive to play competitively if the list was actually current
Ess-K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ud on this one, there are so many people registered that have probably never even played and my ranked postions are important to me. I do like to play with the intention of raising my rank, it may only be a number but it's a motivation to play more.

Ess-K Twisted Evil
Mad Scout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was my suggestion a while ago that the rankings slate be wiped clean once a year, or once every few months or something like that, so that where people were ranked in april 2003 has nothing to do with where they're ranked now. Perhaps have an "all-time" ranking, like we have now, in addition to a "2004" list, and maybe a "past 2 months" list. It would be a good idea 'cause it seems nobody buys into the rankings like we did when they first came out a year ago
Severian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, *I* buy into the rankings system... It's great.

Seriously tho, as long as the all time playing records
are preserved somewhere (Fermat is still doing that
isn't he?) I'm all for mixing it up a bit with some different
lists. That might encourage some people to buy back
into the rankings system that have gotten frustrated
trying to work their way up the current list. Time
will tell which list(s) get valued the most and taken
as the best indicator of bolo skill.

Sev
Min

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is the complete inaccuracy of the rankings ..... such as simply starting 10 different accounts, and playing against them all until your a high rank ..... or playing newbies until your a high rank ... look at me, I'm still in the top 10 list, and I havn't played a ranked 1x1 game in .... 1.5 years? ...... the current ranking system means practically nothing in its current format.

Min
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE RANKINGS SHOULD BE COMPLETELY STARTED OVER! some of these people on the ranksings o have never even seen play!
Ess-K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the idea of starting the rankings fresh but it won't change anything. A few months down the line things will be back into the same position won't they. There will be those who cheat to give thereselves better ranks and the whole thing will be an inaccurate reflection of players skills.
The idea of storing the current ranks and creating a secondary scoring is a good one though, something thats wiped after six to twelve months periodically.
Until the cheats are stopped we'll never have a true showing of each players skill, sad but true Sad

Ess-K
Twisted Evil
Madd Maxx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree. I have also seen whilst looking at the active games page (countless times), people playing by themselves in a locked game to get their pill and base counts up. Hey ppl, if you wanna practice, we have what's called "PRACTICE MODE", it doesn't even lag Laughing .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Min

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ess-K wrote:
I agree with the idea of starting the rankings fresh but it won't change anything. A few months down the line things will be back into the same position won't they. There will be those who cheat to give thereselves better ranks and the whole thing will be an inaccurate reflection of players skills.
The idea of storing the current ranks and creating a secondary scoring is a good one though, something thats wiped after six to twelve months periodically.
Until the cheats are stopped we'll never have a true showing of each players skill, sad but true Sad

Ess-K
Twisted Evil

no .. what we need is complete transparency ...... keep track of every game ... how many pills .. how many bases were taken, who it was played against, how many players which map, how long it lasted ... the whole ball of wax .... that way .... you can tell exactly what each player did to get their stats.

Min
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Min wrote:
no .. what we need is complete transparency ...... keep track of every game ... how many pills .. how many bases were taken, who it was played against, how many players which map, how long it lasted ... the whole ball of wax .... that way .... you can tell exactly what each player did to get their stats.

Min

I thought you didn't like the idea of game diaries? Its possible I'm misremembering though.

nyway, all the stats for everygame are recorded and kept. An interface to display them hasn't been created yet. I always throught it would be good to have a link off the players profile page which show a list of every game they played. Each list could be drilled into to display the game log.
Min

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
I thought you didn't like the idea of game diaries? Its possible I'm misremembering though.

your correct ... I don't like the idea ... but, I also realize that what I want and what should be done are quite different. And it would probably be best for the community to have it ....

Elvis wrote:
nyway, all the stats for everygame are recorded and kept. An interface to display them hasn't been created yet. I always throught it would be good to have a link off the players profile page which show a list of every game they played. Each list could be drilled into to display the game log.

I agree ... also, you should consider doing some basic stats kind of stuff when viewing game logs ... such as tallying how many times people capture pills, how many times people lost lgm's etc .... and then displaying those stats at the top so people don't have to go through the list of events and count each type. Which would help when viewing a game from the player's profile. I know its just an interface thing ... just gotta find the time to write the correct queries to get the data from the database and display it.

Min
Fermat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to remind people that most of the diary stuff has been done, as well as the log improvements.

http://fermat.winbolo.us/bolo

I am considering to port some, if not all, to php and get it on wbn. The logs start Nov. 4, but now that I have direct access to all of the data, I may re-run the analyzer on all games tracked by Elvis.

I've recently added some preliminary team stats as well... In case anyone cares to have a look, though team "game history" links don't work yet.

http://fermat.winbolo.us/bolo/toplist.asp?team_size=2
skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Min,

Maybe I'm mistaken but didn't you used to have a page on your site that showed who you beat etc etc...? But you don't like that idea. Well if I'm wrong why don't you like the idea? I would think it would only be useful or an aid to the community in not only determining how someone acheived the rank they currently have and be able to have an idea of that players' skill level.
Min

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywalker wrote:
Maybe I'm mistaken but didn't you used to have a page on your site that showed who you beat etc etc...? But you don't like that idea.

ya, I used to .... and no .. I don't like the idea, sometimes you have to try something out that seems like a good idea before realizing that it is infact not one. Its really none of anyone's business who I play, or who I beat or don't beat. I keep that information for my own personal uses (such as remebering games that were alot of fun, months from now).

skywalker wrote:

Well if I'm wrong why don't you like the idea? I would think it would only be useful or an aid to the community in not only determining how someone acheived the rank they currently have and be able to have an idea of that players' skill level.

why do you need to know what a players skill level is? ..... so you can make "fair" teams? .... the whole concept of skill level is so unbelievably skewed in the first place that it really becomes irrelevant. Its all perception based.

Min
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: