Best Realistic Swamp: 2
Best Realistic Tree/Forest: 3
Best Realistic X-Tra: 3
Best Screen: 9

Extended Contest Categories:

Best Realistic Sea: 3
Best Realistic Ocean: 3
Best Realistic Road: 2

These includes 19 brand new graphics! (Actually the list of new graphic is much greater, but I'm only counting those that are entered into specific categories)
FireIce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the contest is drawing to a close. Tommorow, I will email the judges the voting forms and instruction for retrieving the skins. The judging deadline is 1 week.

The channel #WSC on irc.winbolo.us will now be soley for the Judges. Non-Judges and contestants, please do not join that channel.

I have set a new channel (#WS) for everyone else who would like to talk about the Contest or Skins. Anyone can join that channel.
FireIce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY to the U.S.!

and

Happy Independence Day to Winbolo! Independence from the old graphics that is =)
~suicide~

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will the winners be announced the 11? or what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FireIce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just emailed the Judging Vote Cards. There is a 1 week deadline to submit the judging forms back. The deadline will be July 12th by midnight, one week from today.

Lots of ppl have been asking me if I will be judging too. The answer is no. I've worked with several of the skin contestants in helping them test their skins and providing feedback, so I feel I'm too biased and thus disqualify myself from judging.

Suicide: Well, after I receive the forms, I have to tally it up. It may take a day or two after the judging deadline. So around the 13th or 14th or so I should have the results ready to post.
~suicide~

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, can't wait to see the results Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the skins are gonna be soooooo cool.....
FireIce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reminder! Reply with quote

Just a reminder: the deadline to submit your judging results is Monday at Midnight - less then three days from now!

ps. I made a new skin called DesertSkin, and am currently working on a moonBolo! Smile I'll release my new skins after the contest is over. After I'm finished with moonBolo....maybe marsBolo...or nudeBolo?
Acro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down, FireIce. Remember what the doctor said. Very Happy
~suicide~

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! A "R" rated skin Very Happy Cool can't wait to see the winning skins and your upcoming skins.
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah! pillboxes can be boobs!

yes, i got to judge the contest and man were there some awesome entries.
FireIce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe
Madd Maxx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, BOOBS!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FireIce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 8 judges reporting, here are the results of the Winbolo Skin Contest. Some categories had a clear overwhelming winner. Other categories resulted in a very close race, with the winner winning by only 1 vote. So without further ado here it is:

Original Contest

Best Realistic Wall/Block: Sheeps' CivSkin
Best Realistic Tank: Minhiriath's BoloReloaded
Best Realistic Pillbox: Minhiriath's BoloReloaded
Best Realistic Grass: Minhiriath's BoloReloaded
Best Realistic Swamp: Minhiriath's BoloReloaded
Best Realistic Tree/Forest:Underdog's SnowBolo
Best Realistic X-Tra: Minhiriath's BoloReloaded's Explosion
Best Screen: Suicide's Radioactive

Extended Contest

Best Realistic Sea: Underdog's SnowBolo
Best Realistic Ocean: Underdog's SnowBolo
Best Realistic Road: Sheeps' CivSkin

Winbolo Skin Grand Champion: Minhiriath
Winbolo Skin Grand Wizard: Minhiriath

Explanation: The Winbolo Skin Contest Champion is the one who wins the most categories in the Original Contest Categories. Winning the Wall Category counts as two wins. Minhiriath wins the title with 5 wins vs Sheeps's 2 wins (due to wall counted as two wins), Underdog's one win, and Suicide's one win. The Winbolo Skin Contest Wizard is the one who wins the most categories in the Original Contest and Extended Contest. Although Minhiriath did not win any categories of the Extended Contest, he had such a big lead in the Original Contest that he also wins this title with his 5 wins vs Sheep's 3 wins, Underdog's 3 wins, and Suicide's 1 win.

I thought I'd award an honorary award to those who have won at least 1 vote from a judge for first place in that category.

Honorary Awards
(for those who didn't win in that category, but received at least 1 first place vote from 1 or more judges):

Realistic Wall: Minhiriath
Realistic Tank: Underdog
Realistic Pillbox: AJR
Realistic Grass: Sheeps
Realistic Swamp: Sheeps
Realistic Tree: Minhiriath
Realistic X-Tra: Ky (his mines in BlueReSkin)
Screen: Sheeps (AquaBattle and CivSkin), Minhiriath (BoloReloaded), and Suicide (Sui_bio)
Realistic Sea: Minhiriath and Sheeps
Realistic Ocean: Minhiriath
Realistic Road: Minhiriath

What Judges liked about individual Skins

I asked judges, if they wanted to, to write what they liked about the individual skins. So here is the tally. Some judges only wrote comments for one or two skins, other wrote comments for every skin. There also was one honorary judge, who did not vote, but who did write comments on what he liked about the skins (Thanks Sheeps!).

The "*" separate comments made by different judges.

AquaBattle

I have never played on a mac. but i like the brightness of your screen. it makes all the items easier to see.
Pretty nice looking skin, I like what you did with the screen, the original pillbox design, and the original tank design.
It was obvious you spend much time into this skin. I really liked how you made the pills and bases. Keep up the good work sheeps!

BlueReskin

I feel that the tint of blue used was very easy on the eyes. when you play bolo a long time a screen that is easy on the eyes is a hard thing to comeby.
LOVE THE MINES DUDE!
I liked having a blue tank Razz It was obvious to me you spent time on the mines, tank, bases, pills.
Interesting marshmallow mines (yet screen doesnít match), and the blue is a good bold color.

BoloReloaded

Beautiful skin! Clearly a lot of time was spent on this one, and I find it very playable. Definitely the best overall skin Iíve seen so far.
one of my fav. skins. i use this skin a lot because it looks like a lot of time and effort has gone into the making of this skin. big props to min, this skin is awesome. love the 3D effect u went for on the tanks and the bases. craters were outstanding. since all of us have started out with the default skin we are used to the images, i like how you didn't switch to brand-new images, but instead made the old ones we are so used to better as a whole
Phenomenal Skin. Not much more I can say this skin is virtually perfect. I donít think any of the other judges noticed this but you changed the lgm making his armpits fatter. I had to go to quad view to see this but I notice. Nice job all around with the skin
This is definitely the best "entire remake" skin.
Min min min min minÖ This skin was spectacular, where do I start. EVERYTHING was great! I think you just needed a flashier screen
Great looking skin, overall best I have seen. Really sharp with good-looking graphics. Blocks are smooth, grass and trees are fun and interesting, pills have great texture.

CivSkin
Outstanding alternative skin. The quality of this skin is excellent, earning a close 2nd place in 4 of the above categories.
Nice Walls I like it, reminds me of what pyramids looked like. I like what you did with the outer walls of grass, the yellow lines. The deep, and shallow sea look very good. Nice variation from everything else Iíve seen.
This was one of the coolest looks skins Iíve seen in while. I really liked the walls and screen.
I really like the idea of putting sand near the water!

GreyWinBolo

Excellent screen, though Iíd like it to be a little more clear which box I have selected on the left.
I like what you did with the outer walls of grass, the yellow lines. The deep, and shallow sea look very good. Nice variation from everything else Iíve seen
I liked the measure of shots. It can be very helpful in games in tight situations to see how many shots you have left.
Good straightforward screen, much more interesting then default.

r1p1tup

loved the screen. not too much not to less.
Nice work AJR I liked the 3d affect
Great 3d texture on pills and bases. Trees feel like Christmas!

Radioactive

Very nice screen. I like what you did with the pillbox icon on the left, the double pillbox with the lgm nice work. The LGM WINBOLO and gauges on the right are nice. Great work with this one.
Whoa.. this screen is amazing.. keep up the excellent work
I like the hazard icon behind the main window. Nice fun screen and nice placement of lgm with the 2 pills on pill function button.

SnowBolo

This skin introduces some of the more radical changes that actually remain playable.
trees! trees! trees! i found the forest on this skin to be outstanding. by far the most original skin i have seen in the contest
I really like the pillbox, shallow and deep sea
Ud, I know how many hours you spent on this little baby of yours. You treated this like it was your baby Razz. I think the trees, pills, blocks, water, omg everything was great
Great creative skin, all themed elements fit well together. Realistic trees and bright bases. Sea and Ocean are well made. The tank smiley also adds some fun. Nice sharp images.

Sui_bio_1

I really liked the bio-hazard symbol in the start up of the screen. everything of the screen matched well with the whole bio-hazard theme.
Nice screen. I see that you have changed all aspects of it. I love how you made the headstone and skull smeared with a hint of red looks phenomenal. I can't wait to see your next skin.
Whoa.. this screen is also amazing. Keep up the good work
Interesting concept, and icon behind main screen is nice. Bases have x-mas feel.

Where to get the skins

Currently, all skins entered into the Winbolo Skin Contest can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.winbolo.us/skins/wsc. The skins entered into the contest were:

AquaBattle v2 by Sheeps
BlueReskinV1.2 by Ky
CivSkin by Sheeps
GreyWinBolo by Minhiriath
r1p1tup by AJR
Radioactive by Suicide
Snowbolo v1.01 by Underdog
Sui_bio_1 by Suicide
BoloReloaded by Minhiriath

Thanks for the judges: Fermat, Fubar, Hawk, Indiana, LRL, Q-mandabomb, Ren, and Wolverine.

Thanks to these judges for providing feedback: Fermat, Fubar, Hawk, Renny, Q-Mandabomb.

Thanks to Sheeps for giving helpful advice at the start as well as throughout the contest, for announcing this contest and its results via the wbn news, and for being an honorary judge who provided feedback on the skins.

Thanks to Ren for the idea of having a #WSC and for registering and taking care of the channel during the three weeks of the entry period and then during the week of judging. This proved to be very usefull and beneficial.

Thanks to Underdog for creating the original Winbolo contest with his Winbolo Map Contest, and providing a very good foundation and framework from which to hold a contest. This Skin Contest borrows very heavily the framework Underdog provided for holding a contest.

Last edited by FireIce on Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
~suicide~

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Yay, I won the screen section Very Happy Glad you like my screens, and congrats to all that won! Jeez Min, from what I heard I just got to see your skin(s). Now to downlaod all the skins! I can't wait to see what you guys have come up with! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: