MemberlistMemberlist

UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Community

Unfair map voting/stealing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Unfair map voting/stealing Reply with quote

I was casually browsing through my map collection today, just for a stroll down memory lane, ya know, when I see that fidores has gone around and voted 1 on quite a few of my maps, when they do not deserve it. There are several instances where other people have voted high/fairly Smile on my maps, and on those same maps fidores has voted one, with no comment. Now, I know this isn't a big deal, but still, it is quite abusive and very unfair. Holes like this are what need patching up around here. Anyone can make multiple accounts and go vote 1 someone's map. This is wrong. I don't have a solution, but I am hoping someone here does. I am thinking that a way to "flag" reviews as abusive might be handy, and when they are flagged by a certain amount of people someone goes and checks it out and deals with it, or it is auto removed. The only problem with this is that anyone, once again, can go around w/ multiple accounts and mark a bunch of nonabusive things abusive, to give the mods a hard time.

Btw, he probably did this in retaliation to me voting low on all of his maps, which are either stolen or crap and deserve it.

This is why I suggest another solution: Make it so players can only have ONE account per ip, and then give them the ability to make aliases, with a maximum of say 20 or so alternate names, which they can use ingame or on the forums. Then, to know who's who, all their aliases can just be shown on their account, in a list.

Another problem similiar to the one above is map stealing. Various people are stealing maps, including fidores, sometimes writing retarded text on them or something, and then uploading them as theirs. This is stealing. This also needs dealing with. Once again, I recomend the "flagging" idea.

As for punishment; well, I'd say after 5 or so abusive reviews/stolen maps, you get a warning, then a couple more, and a ban (temporary at first?) I'm not sure on specifics, but this is the general idea.

Just another little improvement around here I'd like to see in order to make things better. There are a LOT of other things (the IRC policy, smiley flood, spam, ect ect) around here that need fixing too, which get suggested but never elaborated on. So, if we want this nice little community to go somewhere I say, LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Go on, discuss.
Q
Sticks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would one-up you and say one vote per account should be good enough. If they want to vote again, fine, but it replaces their previous vote on the map. The fact that he down-votes your maps on purpose isn't a big deal. I don't think the archive of maps is used heavily dependant on the number of stars it got.

Compare this to sites like You're the Man Now, Dog where the rated quality of your ytmnd actually does count for something -- position on the overall listing -- and you have potential for a slight problem. With down-voting there, however, it is evened out by the fact that any one ytmnd has hundreds of votes, most of them accurate. In essense, the noise (the down-votes) is lost in the signal (true votes).
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know it's not a big deal I sort of forgot about it now. However, the map stealing (Maps being on more than one account) Is retarded and disorganizes everything. I mean, just look at the map collections page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: