UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Community

RateMyTank.info
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knuckles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: RateMyTank.info Reply with quote

Alright, so today lance showed me an spin a ranking system that he made up. It's pretty decent so i thought i would actually contribute something back to winbolo.

I made a small site (i'll update it later, it functions now), but what you need to do, is enter your name, the person your ranking and then go through the fields and rate the specific skill level in each category then submit.

Should be good for noob's to find out what they need to improve.

All words are property of Lancelot.

http://www.ratemytank.info
hellscream

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

"This website is temporarily unavailable, please try again later. "

FAIL
Knuckles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout now?
Lancelot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: ratemytank Reply with quote

from articles ive checked the propagation of the website can take as long as 36-48 hrs to reach across the internet. So for some (like me) we shall just have to wait. thanx knuckles for doing this. i think it adds to the fun. thats the only reason i wrote it up. that and to maybe help newer players get a handle on some game concepts to concentrate on if they want to improve. again im not claiming ive written the definitive bolo breakdown of skills, just gave it my best shot. have fun alll! bolo on...
Lancelot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those who cant get to the site yet but want to see the write up text. here ya go.

Rating Bolo Players

values 0-10

0 = helpless 1 = poor 2 = weak 3 = below avg 4 = low avg 5 = average 6 = high avg
7 = above avg 8 = skilled 9 = strong 10 = superior 10+ = godlike

Skill Categories

pill takes – pertains to how well the player knocks down pills. How quick, how little damage does he take, does he set them up and execute correctly, is he in position to be able to get the pill afterwards? Does he put pressure on the other team by weakening their pill setup and forcing bad repairs or retreat? Can he do double takes, triples? Odd angles? Decoys and draws. How much skill and variety does he bring to the table?

pill placement - does the player arrange his pills for a purpose (such as to protect bases or an area, or to help support an attack). How well does he set up pill lines? Overall does he tend to put pills in places where they are useful and supportable.

pill sweeps and drops - How well does the player know when and how to grab pills out of a tough spot. Do they tend to live or die or make things worse or better? Do they cough up pills in their own zone? Or when going to attack? Do they carry too many pills and give them away too easily? This is about giveaways and takeaways. Unforced errors. Does this guy fumble and bumble or grab and carry the rock to the house?

driving - how well does the player drive? does he run into others a lot? does he take a lot of unnecessary pillfire hits. Does he blunder into situations that get him or his teammates killed? On the plus side does he avoid these situations. does he take into account terrain effects that could slow him. This includes situations where getting on a boat may be called for. Overall how well does this player move around the map to get where he needs to be. Does this dude get walled very often? Yikes…

awareness/opportunism - Is this player able to keep track of events across the map. How well does he know whats going on off the screen, or even on his screen but perhaps just behind him? Does he use pillview efficiently to scan for dangers and opportunities. Does he keep track of what the other team is doing? Does he know if his allies are getting out gunned or spiked. Is he ready to respond to a crisis or strike a killer blow when the enemy is napping?

judgment - wisdom and forethought. Does the player take the best possible action in all situations? Does he attack when he should and defend when he should? Does he know when to? The question isn’t one so much of skill but of making the right call. A good player can be overconfident and attack into a well prepared enemy where his skill wont matter much to the numbers against him. On the reverse, perhaps hes noticed the enemy has numbers but is weak and he HAS an advantage. Sometimes this seems to take a sixth sense. Does this player seem to always know what to do and do it?

awareness/opportunism - Is this player able to keep track of events across the map. How well does he know whats going on off the screen, or even on his screen but perhaps just behind him? Does he use pillview efficiently to scan for dangers and opportunities. Does he keep track of what the other team is doing? Does he know if his allies are getting out gunned or spiked. Is he ready to respond to a crisis or strike a killer blow when the enemy is napping?

judgment - wisdom and forethought. Does the player take the best possible action in all situations? Does he attack when he should and defend when he should? Does he know when to? The question isn’t one so much of skill but of making the right call. A good player can be overconfident and attack into a well prepared enemy where his skill wont matter much to the numbers against him. On the reverse, perhaps hes noticed the enemy has numbers but is weak and he HAS an advantage. Sometimes this seems to take a sixth sense. Does this player seem to always know what to do and do it?

deception/surprise – How well does the player disguise his intentions or do the unexpected? Are his attacks hard to stop because he does something unexpected? Does he pop out of the trees or from the sea and cause havoc? When you see this guy on the map, does he keep you waiting and wondering or do you already know his intentions? Or do you even see him that often? At least not until its too late.

offense – Overall skill at running an attack. Usually by using pills but sometimes this will just be attacking and taking enemy territory, bases and killing players. Overall does this person create pressure on the other team?

defense - General skill at defending a position. Usually by using pills but sometimes just hanging on without by killing tanks, spikes and slowing the enemy. How much trouble does this player give the other team when they try to advance?

teamwork/communication – how well does this player work with others? does he tell you what he wants or needs from you? Is he able to anticipate what his teammate needs and be there for him? does he care? This is overall being aware of your teams abilities and limitations and adapting yourself to them for that game. Some times a player needs to alter his plans so he can cover for or help a teammate. Does this player do that? If he sees a quad getting spiked does he call it out? Does he let u know hes ready to decoy or if he has shots? Or that he is carrying pills but has no lgm? does this guy know theres no ‘I’ in team?

lgm killing – pretty simple. how well does this guy tag lgms. does he get them clean, on the fly or when they plant or just plain miss? Can he get them without shots by driving over them and drawing shots? All in all how much does this dude kill the builder?

spiking/repairing - I put this as a separate skill because both spiking and repairing are about cost/benefit. Does this player realize when spikes and repairs are a good idea? When is it worth it to make a risky repair or to let a pill go for the sake of keeping your lgm to protect the rest. Basically does this guy make good trades when he loses his lgm for the repair? Or does he lose it at all? By sheer craftiness and guile does he tend to get the spike and or repair off and keep the lgm alive?

jousting - Brutal raw tank to tank combat. Does this guy take down others when its just tank vs tank? does he have moves to avoid shots or use cover or deception? Maybe a few mines? How well does this guy kill enemy tanks on his own?

game quickness - How fast does this guy get things done. From gathering trees to bringing that extra pill to just showing up to save the day. Is this guy the first cavalry or the last straw?

strategic thinking - Is this player a man with a plan? Does he set up situations that give his team an advantage and place the other team at a disadvantage. Does he lure them into making unwise attacks or make them fight far from resources and bases or their own. Does he seem to always get the advantage of a better spot to fight from? Does he find and strike when and where the enemy is weakest? This is the meta game… look it up.

combat lifespan - Does this guy seem to live thru everything? How often does he die and does he pick the best times to do so. Theres a true skill to staying alive and then dying to get that free armor at the right time…..

resource management - Does this player use his shots trees and armor and mines to the best effect. Does he squander them and then wind up unable to fight or defend before the enemy attack is repelled or before he can finish his own attack? Does he suck down bases and leave nothing for anyone else? Does he use more pills than he really needs to get the job done? Does he save a few close trees for emergencies if he can? Go fuel at a farther base when he thinks he has time to let the closer base recover? Thinking about resources effects how long youll be able to hang in the fight… Does this player do that?

morale – This is about attitude. Its not a skill but it affects the game. Do people like to play with this player. Does he give confidence to a team or degrade it? Everyone has their own opinion on players but this gives them the chance to chime in and rate the players game presence as an overall positive, negative or neutral.

persistence/consistency – Does this player keep fighting when the chips are down? Does he fight thru his own mistakes or the opponents good plays? Does he play at a high level (or as high as he can) all the time? This is about fighting the good fight for as long as it looks like theres still a chance to turn things around, and sometimes even when it doesn’t look that way. Its also about performing to your own standard. Is this player at his best most of the time?

intangibles – They say the whole is more than the sum of its parts. So taking all of the previous factors into account, adding them up, and then rethinking how they create the overall player, give a value to how the player best transcends your expectations and opinions of him. Or how he fails to do so. Does this guy succeed where he shouldn’t? fail when victory is all but certain? accomplish the unexpected or do you expect the worst from him despite any skill he has. Maybe best defined as the players “aura” or his gamblers luck. How would this guy do in Vegas?

20 skills at ten pts per skill gives a range of scores from 0-200.

The levels are set as follows.

0-10 = road kill

10-20 = family pet

20-30 = mental patient

30-40 = egg

40-50 = tadpole

50-60 = noob

60-70 = noob plus

70-80 = cadet

80-90 = disciple

90-100 = player

100-110 = trooper

110-120 = warrior

120-130 = veteran

130-140 = pro

140-150 = hero

150-160 = samurai

160-170 = master

170-180 = magician

180-190 = demigod

190-200 = god

200+ = bolo messiah
jinx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict this to be the best noob-motivator winbolo has ever seen. I will particularily enjoy the facade people will put up where they pretend not to care about their rating, especially if it is an 'underevaluation'.
hellscream

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

it looks good...

hopefully the website will appear for me soon.
Knuckles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ratemytank.info/
or
http://ratemytank.info/

(as nemo puts it i'm a DNS noob)

We also discussed possible changes. as in making something like driving a minor skill (1-5) and something like strategy a major skill (1-15).

suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Knuckles on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knucks the site looks great. although i dont really see the point. it is basically peoples opinions on other players so therefore extremely inacurate.
example:
if lucas rates gb he may end up with a score of say 130.
now if someone who dislikes gb rates him it could be like 20 or -20 Smile

dont get me wrong im not saying its a bad idea and youve obviously put alot of thought, time and effort into creating such a masterpeice but this is the way i see it. i guess we're not 'vibing' on this particular idea and i would like to hear your thoughts on what the bottom line is with this??
hellscream

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

the point is who cares if lucas rates gb as 130....the point is you would only care about the ratings given by the top notch serious players...and u would also see where exactly they think u are lacking.

You might also be able to see the different "personalities" of the top players coming through...when they rate each other (i.e risky high stakes player vs calm collected player).
Kaos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ok im with ya Cool
Lancelot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaos - i think the point is the each rating has the name of the person doing it displayed so you can make your own judgement as to its value and honesty. just because some players wont be very good or honest about it i think we can also have plenty of players that will try to make a good evaluation. so as you look at ratings, take them with a grain of salt and add in whom is doing the rating. also once many players rate someone i think you can look at them all and average them out or maybe disreguard one that seems particularly vindictive and biased. anyway dont worry this doesnt count against your grades at school, its a tool that mite help some players improve and if not maybe it will just be a vehicle to share what we think of each other without being too harsh. its all in the numbers. but its also meaningless if you dont think it matters. its whatever you want to make of it. just something we trying out. peace.
hellscream

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Have an automatic redirect feature to the main table after u submit...rather than just having a "submit successful" page.
hellscream

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Have a drop down menu with a list of players so that we get commonality in the names on the table.
Knuckles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool HS, working on that next.

little prettier now, i gotta fix cell height.

I think Lance or some other vet should re do the rank system and ill fix it.

i.e.
pill takes -> 10
resources management ->5
driving -> 5
etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: