UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Community

Ren's Strategy Guide
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ren

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Ren's Strategy Guide Reply with quote

Ren's Strategy Guide For Amateurs

Players have asked me what can they do to get better and well, it brought me to come up with this strategy guide for amateurs that want to get good.

So we beginÖ

ē Don't send lgm (builder) if you know it will die / get killed / walled.

I start off with the biggest problem for most players. Losing your builder when youíre in the heat of a huge pill battle can cost you all those pills, and possibly bases. Itís best to make a short send to fake a repair, or if you donít have a pill on your hands, pick up the pill and build it somewhere else. If youíre carrying an extra pill flanking is a great strategic move, because it covers more ground, saves a pill loss, and a builder loss.

ē Don't play offensively if you less pills than your opponent.

When youíre down in pills, play defense. Set up a defensive pill line and earn some pills you may have lost earlier in the game, than resume playing offense. If you donít play defense when you have a less amount of pills than your opponent youíre increasing the percentage of losing your own pills.

ē Don't plant pills too far up if you know they will get shot.

When playing always make short sends with your builder. If you make a long send, or foolish send, youíre probably going to get your builder shot. Making a long send and losing your builder can cause you to lose a pill or many pills. So to stop your builder from getting shot, make a short send.

ē Don't plant pills you canít defend.

Some players end up planting pills all the way across the map, where they know they canít defend it. This is mainly bad because if you try to support the spike, youíre out of reach of your bases for ammo and shield. Itís best to plant pills where you have highly fueled bases so you can access them easier without losing pills while youíre refueling. Another thing, donít plant your pills behind enemy bases if you donít plan on raping! This can be an easy take for some players because they can use their base as a shield from letting you shoot their builder.

A good defensive pill line setup:

ē Support your pilltakes.

When attempting to do a pilltake, always have pills next to your pilltake so you can heat the other pills to prevent your opponent from sweeping to pick up their pill, and maybe yours! While you have extra pills to stop sweeps, you can get good aims on builders too, while attempting a pilltake!

ē USE PILLVIEW!

Always use pill view. You can use this to see whatís going on with your pill line while youíre refueling or raping bases, or whatever you might be doing at the time. Some players prefer to listen for noise then go to where they here the sound, this is not good because you cannot see where theyíre shooting, or how much damage theyíve done to your pills. Check what you currently have set your pill view key by holding down Control and K in your WinBolo game window.
Some cool pilltakes you can learn.

ē Always play your best.

When playing a newbie, someone not as good as you, or anyone, always players your best. Playing cocky causes you to play cocky with those really good players your idol skill over!

You can find a game with all these skills incorporated here:
ftp://ftp.winbolo.us/upload -- It's called Strat Game.avi

To view this Strategy Guide with *PICTURES* you can download it here: ftp://ftp.winbolo.us/upload -- It's called Strategy Guide.doc

renbot.winbolo.us
Madd Maxx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shit has already been layed out in other stategy guides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ren

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardly, that's why i made this.

renbot.winbolo.us
Brando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Revisions Reply with quote

[quote]Playing cocky causes you to play cocky with those really good players your idol skill over!

I find this to be very hypocritcal ren considering that you are one of the cockiest players that I know of to ever play bolo

Some suggestions on how you might be able to improve the guide. You act as though ppl are smart enough to know how to take pills, how to effictevly place pills and such. I myself have been playin Winbolo for about a year now give or take. I know the fundamentals and I'm smart enough to know what I'm doing but when I get into a game I get cought up in the moment and just stop thinking. In my oponion thinking before you play acting out as if you have a basic idea of what is going to happen is the hardest part about bolo. If you really want to make a guide that you would like to stand out better than Samhains guide which I still think is the best you might want to make major revisions to this guide. It seems very basic and as though you havent put much thought into revising it many times over. I'm just curious how much time did you put into this guide.
Anyways here are the things that I think you should revise about the guide.

First off explain things in much greater detail and dont forget to mention that no matter what practicing the things first-hand over and over and over again is the best way to learn

Another way for newb's or noob's to get better is to 1v1 many many ppl weather they be people better than them by a whole lot or ppl that are the same level as them. Either way it gives them a better concept of things to do from the more experienced players...and afterwards if they ask what they might have done wrong or some noticable mistakes, then they work on them it would help greatly.

You might want to post links referring to how to make pill takes from www.lgm.com/bolo That site still in my oponion has the best reference to everything about bolo/Winbolo

I think after many many revisions your guide could become good.

-Brando
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ren

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Revisions Reply with quote

[quote="Brando"]
Quote:
Playing cocky causes you to play cocky with those really good players your idol skill over!

I find this to be very hypocritcal ren considering that you are one of the cockiest players that I know of to ever play bolo

Some suggestions on how you might be able to improve the guide. You act as though ppl are smart enough to know how to take pills, how to effictevly place pills and such. I myself have been playin Winbolo for about a year now give or take. I know the fundamentals and I'm smart enough to know what I'm doing but when I get into a game I get cought up in the moment and just stop thinking. In my oponion thinking before you play acting out as if you have a basic idea of what is going to happen is the hardest part about bolo. If you really want to make a guide that you would like to stand out better than Samhains guide which I still think is the best you might want to make major revisions to this guide. It seems very basic and as though you havent put much thought into revising it many times over. I'm just curious how much time did you put into this guide.
Anyways here are the things that I think you should revise about the guide.

First off explain things in much greater detail and dont forget to mention that no matter what practicing the things first-hand over and over and over again is the best way to learn

Another way for newb's or noob's to get better is to 1v1 many many ppl weather they be people better than them by a whole lot or ppl that are the same level as them. Either way it gives them a better concept of things to do from the more experienced players...and afterwards if they ask what they might have done wrong or some noticable mistakes, then they work on them it would help greatly.

You might want to post links referring to how to make pill takes from www.lgm.com/bolo That site still in my oponion has the best reference to everything about bolo/Winbolo

I think after many many revisions your guide could become good.

-Brando

Brando Brando Brando, This is a guide for amateurs, people that get pills, and donít know where to plant them or what to do with them... Of course I could never make a guide as well as samhain, and show me where I stated that my guide is the best in the world, or that it's better than samhains? No where... So tossing insults saying it's not as good as this or that is just pointless, because frankly, hearing an opinion from you bringing into fact that you're only 13 years old and immature. So hearing these opinions that have no thought or research behind them makes no sense... anyway... what does me being cocky have to do with the quote? Yeah... i'm cocky... so what? Just because I write something doesn't mean that I follow it, does it? Nope, I think not, it's a STRATEGY GUIDE FOR OTHERS. And you don't base a strategy guide of yourself... i've known plenty of people that have made fantastic strategy guides with being some of the worst players in winbolo, but knowing from other people good strategy. Obviously, you wouldn't know that because you're just a big shot that thinks he knows everything.

You make no sense, you try to act all smart by having someone edit your grammar to look all smart and cool... i mean look at this...

rmBrody5: tranzamkid: I am an amateur and I've been one for a lot longer than you

Whoa! You've been an amateur longer than me! Lol... i don't think anyone would agree with that... go ask stimpy, ud, min, or anyone that's been here since .com was around. And according to some people like Min, Iím still an amateur... and when it comes to knowing what to do when, yes i'm an amateur... but if i'm an amateur still according to some... that makes your statement false...

tranzamkid: cocky meaning you act as though youíre all great when others think your not

Wow! This shows you're really smart, doesn't it!? First you said Iím not great, and now that I wasn't an amateur... wow... you really do know absolutely nothing... i thought that you were just jokingly acting retarded... guess not.

tranzamkid: just because you win
tranzamkid: doesnt mean your smarter
tranzamkid: or better
rmBrody5: 1x1 involves a lot of more strategy
rmBrody5: ask hard8 yourself
rmBrody5: look at his guide
rmBrody5: it says it self
rmBrody5: 1x1 is where STRATEGY really comes into play
rmBrody5: it says that specifically
rmBrody5: you know nothing... go read and THINK before you try to open your mouth

You tell me yourself you know more than me, yet you don't. Since you're probably going to argue, I think I might as well take the god damn quote out of samhains guide.

Oh look! Here we go!
"First things first, how can you tell that you're lacking in strategy? Well, I think it's safe to say that if you play a 2x2 better than a 1x1, that's a definite clue. In fact, the worst strategical players tend to hate 1x1's. 1x1's are where real strategy comes to play. A good 2x2 player isn't always a good 1x1 player, whereas a good 1x1 player is almost always a good 2x2 player. IMHO, that's where the saying, "I'm a team player, damnit", comes from. The more players in a game, the less strategy required"

Whoa ... again... Brando is wrong... Iíll let you just figure this one out on your god damn own since you think you're so "smart".

In conclusion, don't fucking try and start up shit with me and expect nothing, I realize you have your own opinions... but you need to learn your statements are equal to shit if they aren't true.
kthxstfudie.

tranzamkid: Do you enjoy making me look like a idiot?

... nah.. You do that plenty yourself Wink btw, it should be 'an idiot'. Smile

Last edited by Ren on Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'kthxstfudie'.........lol. Nice variation. Although, I still like this one better: 'StfuandDiepainfullykthnxbye'.

Always use this emoticon:

Arrow Very Happy
Madd Maxx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa, brando is sooooooooo right. You are one of the cockiest little fuckers that exist, ren.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Min

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh boy oh boy ... we might get a real discussion on strategy going on in here .... I'll response to this when I get home ..... but be prepared for a long one Wink

Min
Suicide Jockey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah Amateurs, do there are professional players now? why can't you people just call them noobs so nobody mistakes winbolo.net for some weird pr0n site.
Min

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ren's Strategy Guide Reply with quote

First thing I'd like to state, is this what I'm going to say is not intended as flamebait, I don't intend to personally attack you Ren, I just want to voice my opinion on the points you've posted.

In starting I would like to state that in my opinion, your guide should not be labeled "strategy" it should be a labeled a pillwar tactical guide.

Ren wrote:

So we beginÖ

ē Don't send lgm (builder) if you know it will die / get killed / walled.

I start off with the biggest problem for most players. Losing your builder when youíre in the heat of a huge pill battle can cost you all those pills, and possibly bases. Itís best to make a short send to fake a repair, or if you donít have a pill on your hands, pick up the pill and build it somewhere else. If youíre carrying an extra pill flanking is a great strategic move, because it covers more ground, saves a pill loss, and a builder loss.

this is the biggest problem? .... well first things first, I don't agree with much of this paragraph. Your right, losing your lgm in the heat of a huge pill battle can cost you pills, etc ... but thats not really a strategical thing, if you wanted to talk strategy, why not mention the other end of the spectrum, such as why you SHOULD lose your builder ... I can think of many reasons why losing your builder is a better idea than keeping him.

Quote:

ē Don't play offensively if you less pills than your opponent.
When youíre down in pills, play defense. Set up a defensive pill line and earn some pills you may have lost earlier in the game, than resume playing offense. If you donít play defense when you have a less amount of pills than your opponent youíre increasing the percentage of losing your own pills.

I truly hope you don't seriously believe this paragraph ren, Don't play offensively? .... if you don't play offensively you lose your initiative, if you don't know what initative is, time to go read samhains strategy guide again. Alot of times, when your down on pills, playing offensive is EXACTLY what you should be doing. Playing defensively is the typical winbolo style used these days, but it doesn't have to be that way. Again, not quite strategy, more pillwarring advice.

Quote:

ē Don't plant pills too far up if you know they will get shot.
When playing always make short sends with your builder. If you make a
long send, or foolish send, youíre probably going to get your builder shot. Making a long send and losing your builder can cause you to lose a pill or many pills. So to stop your builder from getting shot, make a short send.

A long send is only foolish if the person your playing has the ability to shoot lgms sometimes, sending long can be utter genius, and as previously mentioned, sometimes you want to get your builder shot ... and .. losing a pill or many pills? ... so? ...

Quote:

ē Don't plant pills you canít defend.
Some players end up planting pills all the way across the map, where they know they canít defend it. This is mainly bad because if you try to support the spike, youíre out of reach of your bases for ammo and shield. Itís best to plant pills where you have highly fueled bases so you can access them easier without losing pills while youíre refueling. Another thing, donít plant your pills behind enemy bases if you donít plan on raping! This can be an easy take for some players because they can use their base as a shield from letting you shoot their builder.

again, I can think of many reasons to plant a pill you can't defend .... and sometimes you plant pills besides bases and don't rape for other reasons, think outside the box ren. What if I do that, but I'm not trying to shoot your builder? .... but you think its a easy take becuase its beside a base. So you go for it. Hrm ..... I can think of many good uses for that sort of information.

Quote:

A good defensive pill line setup:
ē Support your pilltakes.
When attempting to do a pilltake, always have pills next to your pilltake so you can heat the other pills to prevent your opponent from sweeping to pick up their pill, and maybe yours! While you have extra pills to stop sweeps, you can get good aims on builders too, while attempting a pilltake!

umm, support your pilltakes? .. what if you only have one pill? what if you don't want that extra pill on the ground? what if you intend to move forward and having the extra on the ground will just get in the way or cause a pillwar? ... what if not planting that extra support pill will allow you to get a builder kill against your enemy? Ponder the possiblities, I rarely plant supporting pills as you just suggested.

Quote:

ē USE PILLVIEW!
Always use pill view. You can use this to see whatís going on with your pill line while youíre refueling or raping bases, or whatever you might be doing at the time. Some players prefer to listen for noise then go to where they here the sound, this is not good because you cannot see where theyíre shooting, or how much damage theyíve done to your pills. Check what you currently have set your pill view key by holding down Control and K in your WinBolo game window.
Some cool pilltakes you can learn.

umm, ok ... but how is this strategy? ....

Quote:

ē Always play your best.
When playing a newbie, someone not as good as you, or anyone, always players your best. Playing cocky causes you to play cocky with those really good players your idol skill over!

well, this is almost always impossible, the only way to always play your best, is to always play people who are better than you, but in alot of cases, better players are not always availible.

I've been purposefully vague on alot of the things I've responded with in the hopes that perhaps this will evolve into a meaningful discussion.

Min
Suicide Jockey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been purposefully vague on alot of the things I've responded with in the hopes that perhaps this will evolve into a meaningful discussion.

you've come to the wrong place for that one. Although I have to agree with you this seems like a guide to pillwarring more or less, not even a good one at that. Sure these things can work once in awhile in certain situations. But really you need the skills to be able to read what is happening with the pillwar and work around it. Things like long plants, foolish spikes may seem dumb, but when done right they can save your ass in many situations. I guess as basic guidelines these things somewhat work. Definately not a guide to memorize and live by, unless you want to play exactly like Ren.
Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, moved back into WinBolo -> General out of General Chat.
Acro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ren's Strategy Guide Reply with quote

Min wrote:
I've been purposefully vague on alot of things

Do you work for the U.S. government?
Madd Maxx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful post, min.
Hard8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good thing that Ren decided to put his thoughts down in a post. Writing a guide on that level of Bolo thinking is not an easy task. I feel that my own guide is more on a global level, whereas Ren's floats between a local city and a state map. Mine was easier to write, because I could stick to larger generalizations, as well as avoid the minute details. Neither is necessarily more important than the other, though.

I had once thought about writing something similar, but I felt it was too lofty of a task. There are too many variations and styles to compile them into a single guide. Boloís depth of strategy makes it similar to chess, where there are literally thousands of books written about it (in addition to periodicals, message boards, and websites).

There are a number of ways we could go about creating strategic and tactical learning tools, while following the chess model.

One idea I have is to compile some old r.g.b. posts, and some of the old aero strategy discussion lists (if anyone still has any copies of it available) and add some commentary and pictures to illustrate certain classes of situations (like how a chess book reviews a given opening or sequence of moves).

Another is to try working with the Mac BoloViewer and create game situations where players would see a series of moves take place and have to find the best solution (with commentary and illustrations of the better and worse moves). Along the same lines is to create a series of practice maps with pre-selected ownership. You could have maps where the player has to determine the final spike, realize which critical base needs to be stolen, or even set up handicap matches of 15-1 bases that scale up to even).

One of my favorite chess books was by Fred Reinfeld, where he illustrated the top 10 worst moves of intermediate players. It was a unique approach in that it sought to help remove the bad habits in order to allow the player to progress (using the analogy of how to chisel an elephant sculpture). Renís approach seems similar, but it lacks a little bit of structure. Instead of trying to cover all of the bases in one post, a more comprehensive approach to a more distinct portion of your game would be a much better read.

I feel that Renís guide was written more along the lines of ďHow to ally with RenĒ, which is totally fine (I wrote a similar post on 12/95 (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=masushige-2112951106510001%40samhain.aero.org&rnum=5). But, Iíd much rather see a strategy/tactics guide that relates to how Ren plays. I wrote my guide to explain how I felt I was able to defeat tactical players. People often complain that Ren doesnít play strategically, yet he still comes away with more than his share of wins. Thatís what Iíd like to read and discuss. Youíre capable of more, Ren, let's see it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: