MemberlistMemberlist

UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Community

serious request
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should these features be added to winbolo?
yes
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
yes, but i would really like to see bug fixes and game physics (soft corners, "strong" pushing sides, lgm landing, etc) fixed first, including networking made better
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 10

underdog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: serious request Reply with quote

ability to change font/size/color of name text of tanks in winbolo, so they are visible on white background skins.

ability to set different colors for ally messages.

ability to set people on ignore, who alliance request flood or message flood.

the option to allow in game messages to appear at the top of the screen, one under the other, up to a certain number of lines. (like most multiplayer games) and then have a hotkey, like say "~" that will show you message logs in a popup, instead of the vintage inefficient and easy to abuse scrolling message at the bottom of screen like we have now.

ability to request a "hold". it will send a hold request to other members in the game. if all members click agree, the game will be put on "hold" or "pause." during this period, tanks cannot move, bases do not replenish, trees do not grow, lgms do not move. bullets hang in mid air. the hold can either last a set amount of time, like say 5 minutes, or it can be started again with a "unhold" which is either happens automatically when a player chooses it, or it is another message sent to other players to request game to resume, which they can agree to. if agreed game starts again.

more tiles on the skin template, to allow better transition tiles between trees and water, roads and swamp, etc

resizability of screen, including full screen support.

built in irc-like chatroom function, or a "buddy system" sorta like a built in instant messaging program for setting up games.

some sort of aesthetic bonus for registered players. maybe an avatar, or some sort of logo that shows up in name.
jhood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of quoting you I'm hoping you're able to connect the dots..

Minborg prints messages inside a prompt window and has the ability to either scroll from top to bottom or vice versa.

Perhaps a good start to handling players not holding however what inclines a user to press this "hold" button moreso than just not moving per network etiquette?

I remember Fermat talking about creating a "lobby" type program that allowed players to chat amongst themselves while waiting for a game while starting the game when each user pressed a button. (what is up with ideas about players hitting buttons, by the way??) If I'm not mistaken this is what IRC is for, correct?

Rewarding players who are registered shouldn't change the game unless you're talking about adding an avatar to WBN.
FireIce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: serious request Reply with quote

underdog wrote:
blah blah blah blah AND blah.

I agree with every single one of those items.

I would add the ability to kick players in the first 3 minutes of the game.
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently brought up, once again: (if none of you will listen to me, as you rarely do, for suggestions, except for on one occassion when sheeps listened to something i had to say on an intelligent subject, acro can post this, because this an issue with him too. Ahem.)

MAKE RESPAWNS RANDOM. IT IS SO LAME IN A 1X1 WHEN YOU DIE, KEEP RESPAWNING ON ONE OF THE TWO OF THE FOUR RESPAWNS ON THE MAP, AND NOT ONCE ON YOUR SIDE, ONLY BEHIND THE PILL LINE. I do not know how I can make this any clearer, it is UBER-LAME when you respawn 20 times in a row in the same spot, ON THE ENEMY SIDE OF THE MAP. To me, that just does not sound like winbolo. (it sounds more like, ratatatat, BOOM, or just a quiet gurgling noise). You might as well just leave after you die once, and respawn twice on the other side, because you have pretty much lost any adavantage you had, LIKE BEING THERE to stop the enemy as he calmly takes 10 of your pills. And don't tell me to drive either, that takes a helluva lot of a time, and is certainly not neccessary. Now this brings up the comment; "if you respawn in your quad right away, what is the point of even having tanks die?" (BTW, I just quoted myself, because I wanted to look at both sides of the argument, and avoid a debate on a prefectly sane topic). My response to this is that you have to refuel, refarm, and pick up any loose pills you dropped. Of course, looking once again from the other side, I see that this does not take that much time, therefore, I am proposing a solution to this problem, rather than inviting conflict and argument.

We have three options, either:

a) MAKE THE DAMN RESPAWNS RANDOM, so that way you at least waste part of your time killing yourself once on the other side of the map before spawning properly, in your quad.

b) RECALL ALL MAPS and put spawns at the sides, or rather, the middle of where the two far quad spawns are, so you respawn somewhere in the middle of the map and don't waste too much time driving and getting back in the game, but just enough to make it fair. I propose this because it is a solution we can actually accomplish, without input/confirmation from elvis, as then it will be debated and probably shot down, as elvis wants to please all, which is fine. (If this happens, there will probably be a poll so we can get it voted in). And yes, we can do this if we work hard enough on it, even if it is a tad (OKAY, ALOT) unrealistic, which is why I think this is the worst idea, despite dodging debating.

c) RANDOM RESPAWNS, WITH DELAY, still not my choice option, A is; but what we could do so there is no bitching about respawns in your quad being too quick, and the person playing the person who just died still has a little bit of advantage over them (after all they should, the enemy just blew up and the lgm navy has to build a new tank), is either make it random (or preset, or selected by the player) where you spawn, but have an 8 second or so delay, on top of the initial delay, so you have to wait a bit after you die to get back in the game, which is a lot better than waiting a whole minute to respawn on your side of the map.

B and C are the least workable, and most touchy, which is why i downright propose A, MAKE THE RESPAWNS RANDOM, PERIOD.

Henceforth, the bottom line of all this is; MAKE THE FRICKING RESPAWNS RANDOM, I DONT LIKE GETTING PWNED!

Peace.
Q
FireIce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-mandabomb wrote:
none of you will listen to me, as you rarely do, for suggestions, except for on one occassion when sheeps listened to something i had to say

Everyone: Please don't think too badly of sheeps, I assure you he was totally drunk on that one occasion.

Quote:

MAKE RESPAWNS RANDOM.

I was there in #winbolo during the convo b/w Acro and Qmanda. This argument makes a lot of sense. Maybe use the algorithm to pick the best place to respawn as it does now, then if you die again, if the algorithm would respawns you at the same place, go to a random location instead. That's kind of an incorporation of the way it is now, and the way Qmanda suggest - that way you don't respawn in the same bad place all the time, but yet you still get to use the algorithm.
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireIce wrote:
Q-mandabomb wrote:
none of you will listen to me, as you rarely do, for suggestions, except for on one occassion when sheeps listened to something i had to say

Everyone: Please don't think too badly of sheeps, I assure you he was totally drunk on that one occasion.

Give me the keys FI. The keys on the keyboard that is. You are drunk. Stop typing, before someone gets hurt. (Have blood drip down this message) This could happen to you. Remember, think before you type. Type responsibly. AND STAY IN SCHOOL KIDS. Ahem. Excuse me for a second, my boss is about to fire me for this rather horrible and smarmy commercial.

Last edited by Q-mandabomb on Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Nova

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At around 2:00 in the morning, I was drunk so I went out and bought this GREAT-looking keyboard, an easy "10" on the keyboard scale. The next morning I woke up at around 10:00 with a garbled piece of plastic that might be a keyboard. I was generous and gave it a "2" on the keyboard scale. Don't buy computer equipment while drunk.
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova wrote:
At around 2:00 in the morning, I was drunk so I went out and bought this GREAT-looking keyboard, an easy "10" on the keyboard scale. The next morning I woke up at around 10:00 with a garbled piece of plastic that might be a keyboard. I was generous and gave it a "2" on the keyboard scale. Don't buy computer equipment while drunk.

Yes, I am willing to bet the keyboard was very sexually appealing to you, wasn't it Nova? Then you just had to take it do bed... sigh... no wonder all the girls stay away from you...
Nova

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, every girl whom I've mentioned to that I've associated with Q has run away screaming. At first I thought she couldn't handle my sexiness, then a few days later I see people standing side-by-side, casting furtive glances and whispering to each other.

I WAS HERE BEFORE HE WAS! IT'S NOT MY FAULT! *sob*
jhood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pseudo-random number could still repeat itself, although..
Alain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we imagine that if you respawn and die in less than 5 (?) seconds, you respawn in a random point but not on the precedent respawn point ?

Then, what about a map with only 1 starting point ???

jhood wrote:

I prefer to think at a less repetitive "pseudo-random formula" !
DAllen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain wrote:

IMHO...no. Here's why:

http://www.winbolo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1524&highlight=

Well, you can do that but the game gets to be a tad annoying to play...

Wink

-DAllen
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain wrote:
Can we imagine that if you respawn and die in less than 5 (?) seconds, you respawn in a random point but not on the precedent respawn point ?

jhood wrote:

I prefer to think at a less repetitive "pseudo-random formula" !

yeah, that way the newbs like you (just kidding) can spike the one respawn, and the game would be pretty pointless. We want an even distribution alain, not on uncentered point, like, if you put a start at the top of ct3, the people south would have a hard time getting back after dying. doh.
Acro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is the only flaw that bugs me to no end. Just randomize the starts, so that they aren't directed by pills or bases. I think this would be a simple fix and OH it would be so nice.
Alain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-man and DAllen : I didn't mean that we may create maps with 1 starting point ! Hahaha ! It was only to answer at what I said just before. And to say it was not a very good idea. I made the question and the answer myself !

I like the idea of a "totally" random starting point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: