RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Community

Gameboy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Min

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Gameboy Reply with quote

http://www.winbolo.net/gamelog.php?mode=logfile&key=88e05b971f1cb234f0620ffc4b242f3e

Banned for go jumping. In the west, he starts full on in the trees next to his base. I know gameboy knows the rules, so at this point he's simply ignoring them.

Sorry, your ruining the game for everyone else.

Min
Min

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gameboy has refused to accept the rules. So, at this point, he'll be banned until he can follow the rules.

Min
Min

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems he's agreed to play by the rules, he's been unbanned.

Min
Knuckles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but i think he should deserve a penalty time. If i wanted to blatantly ruin a game and did so knowing all i had to do was apologize and be let back in 30 mins later, i would probably do it again. Hence game boy's multiple bans and overall dislike by all players.

Just my 2 cents.
Spintega

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with knuckles except it would be unfair to all of a sudden change the rules. I suggest we make some sort of rule regarding bans. for example: first ban = banned until apologize and agree to follow the rules. 2nd ban 1week ban + the usual agree to follow the rules. 3rd = 1month ban or something. what do you think min? I think we need a standardized way or making sure this doesnt continue
hellscream

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

for me it would go:

first time: apology...let back in

and thats it....

if you have clear evidence of donig BS again....it should be an ip ban for at least 6 months....that would send a clear message to his kind.
Min

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, well first things first. I haven't had to deal with any repeat offenders since I started enforcing the rules. If repeat offenses do occur, I'll handle it when it happens, it will probably involve banning for a longer period of time. Banning is a stop gap anyways, it shouldn't be required, and its a pain to upkeep. So I'd rather not have to ban anyone. Working on that.

Min
jinx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing access to minbot doesnt mean you cant play winbolo, it simply means you cant join minbot generated games. As i asked min not too long ago, do we want players who repeatedly disregard the rules of winbolo? general opinion seems to point to no. including min himself. So, logically, i support the idea of extended period/lifetime bans. More importantly, i would support it being solely min's decision, seeing as he owns and pays for the bot. As i would for any bot owner, provided it is done in a justified way
Min

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key to all of this is to provide a method for self regulation. Provide a way for you guys to prevent a player from playing in your games should they continue to screw things up. Once you have that ability, the community becomes self regulating. For example, if you could kick a player from your games before starting. Then if that player joined, you could simply kick them, lock, and start playing. If you had to do that every game, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And eventually that player would learn to follow the rules or they wouldn't get to play.

There are lots of ways to make this stuff self regulating, we shouldn't need to have to ban anyone. I'll be implementing something soonish hopefully. We'll see how this summer goes.

Min
ErYan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be easy to develop something like a switch that one or more player hits that sets the screen to a countdown. When it stops it is GO.

I saw something similar the other day on one of the maps.
Cmdr_X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Bolo variant - which I'm forbidden to mention on this forum - defaults to freeze action at the beginning of a strict or tournament game. It enforces a fair start for everybody.

I prefer the classic Bolo/WinBolo approach, however. It makes it far easier to get your team bunched into position and it works just fine if everyone in the game is honourable. Game logs display the cheaters for all to see and they soon gain the bad reputation they deserve.

What's needed is not a countdown, but a method to ban obnoxious jerks. I'm convinced that many more newbies will stick with Bolo if we become a friendly, fair, fun community.
Min

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmdr_X wrote:
Another Bolo variant - which I'm forbidden to mention on this forum - defaults to freeze action at the beginning of a strict or tournament game. It enforces a fair start for everybody.

Well, freezing action at the beginning of the game is definitely not a solution. Whoever made your 'bolo variant' should have put some more thought into it. Since they were programming it from scratch anyways. Would have been the perfect time for a good robust solution.

Cmdr_X wrote:
I prefer the classic Bolo/WinBolo approach, however. It makes it far easier to get your team bunched into position and it works just fine if everyone in the game is honourable. Game logs display the cheaters for all to see and they soon gain the bad reputation they deserve.

Make the game prevent 'cheaters' and suddenly everyone gets to be honourable. Its really quite simple. Getting your team positioned is something that should be fairly easily accomplished with code.

Cmdr_X wrote:
What's needed is not a countdown, but a method to ban obnoxious jerks. I'm convinced that many more newbies will stick with Bolo if we become a friendly, fair, fun community.

This statement is somewhat astounding to me. Banning obnoxious jerks is hard to accomplish. Alot of those jerks can simply change their IP address and get back in. Takes them about 5 seconds. "banning" is ineffective that has been proven many times. Providing players with a way to regulate themselves prevents abuse, and allows the players to deal with their own problems without needing someone around to 'ban' people for them.

On your other points. Bolo is like any online gaming community of this era. It will never be 'friendly'. Jump on xbox live and play some games, you'll find little kids swearing at you in no time. For a friendly community, you need more mature players. We don't have mature players.

Min
Cmdr_X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For a friendly community, you need more mature players. We don't have mature players.

I'm a mature player. I don't hack, jump go, cuss or belittle newbs. And I'm not alone. Many other players share these ethics and when we play together bolo is tremendously fun.

In fact, I don't think mature players are a minority. It's just that 'a bad apple spoils the bushel.' If we can fix things slightly so that bad behaviour has stronger consequences and also continue to provide forgiveness and positive reinforcement - like you've already been doing - things will improve.
Kaos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter what is done there will always be 'bad apples' Rolling Eyes
F.U.B.A.R.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is still a competition. with any kind of competitive game people are going to get frustrated and cuss at you, blame shit on you, or yell at you to some extent.

you shouldnt let it mess your day up, or kill your joy for playing bolo. its kind of a nessasary evil i guess. i do think i get out of control sometimes but i am no way in the minority.

people are also going to try to get any edge they can to win, be that pre-farm, jumping go, deforristing ect... i am glad Min is actually starting to enforce these rules.

most of you guys (new players) need to check in to irc and team speak to find out who we really are and how we play, but more importantly how to GET BETTER. there is many times where someone can help you out, tell you different ways to handle situations, or where you fucked up after a game. but i never see any after game pointers i myself relied on to get better. Thats a shame because it helped me so much and inturn play more and get a lot more enjoyment out of bolo. instaid of just losing all the time.

personally i wish there was a kick/ban function on a gamely basis. say i spawn a map, we get teams and someone is idle, since i spawned the map, i have power to kick and lock out someone for the duration of that game only. or at least till maybe a first pill is taken, this way i cant kick someone just because they are winning. but if they get a base or 2 i can still boot them out. also maybe a lock function that lets me client lock a game i spawned without everyone needing to be locked.

i would like to try it and if its horridly abused, kick it back out but i feel its worth a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: