UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Community

Forum Moderation Policy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Forum Moderation Policy Reply with quote

Here is the new forum moderation policy:

* Moderators may move topics to a different forum if it is posted in the wrong forum.
* Moderators can post new topic in the news forum to appear on the front page of the site.
* Moderators may lock topics that are inappriopriate.

Any moderation that takes place the moderator must make a comment saying that "moved by XYZ" or "locked by XYZ"

A list of the current forum moderators is available.

The big concern people will have is how will a moderator determine what is inappropriate? I hope that this will be self evident in the posts that get locked.

Please feel free to post your thoughts on this policy with and suggestions and/or comments. This is only a starting point for the policy, I hope the community will shape what it is to ultimately become.

But for now, this the policy.
Matt007@007

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok will you let me join I promise I will not do anything bad ifIi do you can just ban me from the group it should be fair because you let those people join Canuck,Kax,Killjoy,Min,sheeps. so will you let me join Very Happy Smile o is says it is This is a closed group: no more users accepted
Min

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if those are the "rules" then it doesn't really matter much if someone locks something that shouldn't have been locked. becuase you can simply unlock it.

Min
sheeps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Min. And regarding deleting posts, there might be a few options:

1. Posts don't get deleted, just locked. This would allow them to remain visible and be used as evidence if necessary.

2. Delete posts and create a message in News forum titled "Deleted post/threads" where the mod can document the deletion and rational.

3. Mods edit the posts to remove offensive parts and document why they edited it. I don't like this option, but it's possible.

Of course, this does not go into 'why' something could be deleted or edited, which is another kettle of corn.
Acro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think profanity falls under that category of 'offensive material' as well, sheeps, and I'd like to see it completely removed from Winbolo. It has no place on the forums or in the games.
.::jhood::.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Profanity is everywhere...Youve got to remember bolo is big in middle-high afterschool programs.
If your worried about posts becoming deleted and not being able to use as 'evidence', moderators could move them to a moderator-only board.
Also, if your worried that someone could just unlock a post, then the moderators should get together and decide what is removable behavior. Both sides would be willing to compromise, even tho half or more of posts are : hehe, good point, or Wink Arrow .
(whats funny, those wont be deleted, only the ones where someone speaks their mind)[/i]
Min

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheeps wrote:
Good point Min. And regarding deleting posts, there might be a few options:

1. Posts don't get deleted, just locked. This would allow them to remain visible and be used as evidence if necessary.

2. Delete posts and create a message in News forum titled "Deleted post/threads" where the mod can document the deletion and rational.

3. Mods edit the posts to remove offensive parts and document why they edited it. I don't like this option, but it's possible.

Of course, this does not go into 'why' something could be deleted or edited, which is another kettle of corn.

well, if your going to get fancy, why not just have a forum that only moderators can see called "threads marked for deletion" and then instead of deleting them, simply move them there ... once elvis/everyone reviews them, they could then be deleted .. or left there forever since they wouldn't be publicly viewable .. one of the major problems with this forum is the amount of profanity, it makes reading it like wading through sludge.

Min
Madd Maxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE DON'T NEED SOO MANY MODS!!! In fact, we don't need any. This will just lead to a big controversy. When we got rid of mods, ppl felt free to speak their minds and voice their opinions. Now everyone who is not a mod has to watch what they say so it will not offend any mods and no longer has the full right to voice their opinion. The whole concept is stupid. If we are going to have mods, we only need 1 to delete EXTREMELY offensive posts.

-Madd Maxx-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, they let people speak their minds and names of hacks were said so often I often mistake them for slang.
As for the mods having to watch what they say in order to not offend other mods...well, thats what you get when you give moderation power to a bunch of children.
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madd Maxx wrote:
WE DON'T NEED SOO MANY MODS!!! In fact, we don't need any.

Most intelligent users will tend to disagree with you on this point. You are one of the reasons we needed, and still need, mods. Yes, most people felt free to speak their minds. Unfortunately, it was on a topic that is looked down upon in most other gaming forums and something that spawned enough threads to warrant a new topic in the forums. It's great that we have more freedom to discuss things but whats the point of discussing when most of the posters don't even know proper grammatical rules nor make witty conversation?

.::jhood::. wrote:
As for the mods having to watch what they say in order to not offend other mods...well, thats what you get when you give moderation power to a bunch of children.

I really do hope that this is not a insult toward the mods as none of them are children nor do they act like them (at least, most of the time Wink ).

*end of thread-jack*

Min wrote:
if those are the "rules" then it doesn't really matter much if someone locks something that shouldn't have been locked. becuase you can simply unlock it.

Perhaps putting the name down was to prevent any particular bias of who closed the thread. This should not apply if the post is a flame directed at one or more moderators. A flame directed at one or more users, however, could be a different situation requiring different consequences.

I think that only the most useless or defamitory threads should be deleted. And when they are, do what Min suggested: put them in a Mod-only forum where every one else can view them before deletion. Or how about this: have a 12 hour (or some other reasonable time frame) "buffer" between when threads are marked for deletion and when they are moved to the mod-only forum. Otherwise, locking threads seems to work fine as sometimes valid arguments/input (or evidence) can be used from them at a later point in time.
Tim_the_Saxophonist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheeps wrote:

All well and good, but...

sheeps wrote:

If they can edit, then the evidence won't be very good, as it can be alleged that it was tampered with
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.::jhood::. wrote:

Quote:
I really do hope that this is not a insult toward the mods as none of them are children nor do they act like them (at least, most of the time ).

Tell me again, what went on in the IRC?
bluesnake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what is this topic about can u guy explain what u guy talking about
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesnake wrote:
so what is this topic about can u guy explain what u guy talking about

I guess in a round about way its getting to a forum usage policy/terms of service.
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another point, do we want to make a decision on whether people should be allowed to post information on hacks and cheats in the forums? Does this cause more harm then good? (Does it cause any good?) Maybe a good topic for a poll.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: