UsergroupsUsergroups
RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile

Community

Passwords for WinBolo Servers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Passwords for WinBolo Servers Reply with quote

LRL has created a webpage that records the current passwords for sheeps.winbolo.us and paniq.winbolo.us games.
Min

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... well, not that I'm complaining .... but doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose for having the pw's in the first place? .. why not just remove them, and give people the ability to start games with custom passwords.

Min
Madd Maxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Min wrote:
.... well, not that I'm complaining .... but doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose for having the pw's in the first place? .. why not just remove them, and give people the ability to start games with custom passwords.

Min

Yes! But that might detour pplz from learning to use IRC wit my awesome tutorial!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LRL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít think it defeat the purpose for having the passwords. It just allows people to have access to them without the only choice but to log on to IRC to get the passwords. Since this is all the publicity the page will get, I donít think it will attract that many new players. People can also be denied access to the page as they could/would be via IRC.

I only created this after you expressed a great deal of disrepute for the passwords. If there are many that feel this is a bad idea I can remove it, if they are so inclined to post their thoughts Iíd appreciate it.
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LRL wrote:
I donít think it defeat the purpose for having the passwords. It just allows people to have access to them without the only choice but to log on to IRC to get the passwords. Since this is all the publicity the page will get, I donít think it will attract that many new players. People can also be denied access to the page as they could/would be via IRC.

I only created this after you expressed a great deal of disrepute for the passwords. If there are many that feel this is a bad idea I can remove it, if they are so inclined to post their thoughts Iíd appreciate it.

doesnt bother me.....as long as you take access from the pag away from people who are misusing the passwords and destroying games... Surprised
Min

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I said lrl, why not just remove the passwords completely, and allow custom passworded games. instead of the other way around. that would make having this page unnessicary.

Min
Madd Maxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Min wrote:
as I said lrl, why not just remove the passwords completely, and allow custom passworded games. instead of the other way around. that would make having this page unnessicary.

Min

Yes! And it would save on webspace!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Suicide Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

max.........that html file prolly is prolly 2 kb's at the max
Madd Maxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide Jockey wrote:
max.........that html file prolly is prolly 2 kb's at the max

Hehe
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I kinda agree with Min here. If the password is going to be readily available, you might as well make sheepbot and paniqbot default to no password and instead use an option to create a game with a password.

Passwords were originally implemented as a default on Minbot players ruining games setup in IRC, either intentionally or otherwise. This became such a problem that passwords were implemented to keep out those who could not play by the rules. Because we had the Bestweb server spawning strict or tournament games, the IRC community didn't really worry about new influx of people.

So now we jump to today, where we find ourselves in the same position. We currently have a server spawning unpassworded games, just like Bestweb. We currently have 2 IRC game servers instead of just Minbot. We still have new players trickling in, just as we did 1 or 1.5 years ago. A difference now is that there aren't as many open game type of games running. A small, but definately not ignorable difference.

So! Its basically the same as it was back when IRC bot passwords were implemented but the annoyance factor is lower. If the owners set servers to spawn without a password, and games kept getting interupted, we can always set up our own custom passworded game! I'm with Min, might as well default to no password if you're putting passwords up for anyone to see and see how it works out. After all, the owners can always change it back to the way it was.
[WtC] dZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow sticks.. thanks for the essay. back to maddmaxx, wasting webspace.. if sticks didnt leave 4 and 5 paragraph essays all the time... maybe that could save some.

god..
ItsJustaGame!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the passwords are really only avaliable to ppl who check the site, so I don't see how it makes a difference, I've wanted to play in those passworded games for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Q-mandabomb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItsJustaGame! wrote:
well, the passwords are really only avaliable to ppl who check the site, so I don't see how it makes a difference, I've wanted to play in those passworded games for a while.

and there was always the hassle of getting irc setup...i managed eventualy....
Nemokrad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there should be a little disclaimer at the bottom saying read and follow these guidelines: http://www.winbolo.com/guides.html

If they don't, they are banned from the passwords.
Madd Maxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemokrad wrote:
I think there should be a little disclaimer at the bottom saying read and follow these guidelines: http://www.winbolo.com/guides.html

If they don't, they are banned from the passwords.

We need a better nettiquette, and a irc.winbolo.com ToS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Winbolo.net Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: